Tuesday, April 01, 2008

gift.

Lately I have been reading a book by Max Lucado called Facing Your Giants. In the book it talks a lot about the story of David and Goliath. It has been really encouraging to me. One of the verses that I have really thought about a lot is from Hebrews 12:2-3 which says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." NIV

After much thought and reflection on this verse and the story of David, I am reminded that God chose me to face whatever "giants" I might be facing. The joy is that God is not going to leave me hanging, he will show up and fight the battle when my heart is focused on him and not the giant. He gave David the tools and focus he needed to overcome the giant, Goliath. All God asks of me is to focus on him with all my heart.

School has been one of the giants I have been facing recently. Before the holiday it was really hard to focus on God and feel like all this was worth something bigger than myself. This morning I was reminded of the idea that I am not alone and that God is not going to stand me up. One of my students shared a treasure she found on a beach in Malaysia while on her holiday, the above rock in the picture. I was in awe. Then she told me that it was for me. I gave her a big hug and told her how special it was. What a wonderful reminder of God's work in my life! It was the highlight of the day which I also shared during my devotion before the staff meeting.

No comments: